I am not a trend setter, never have been, never will be. But I like the stuff I like. And, sometimes I manage to be an early adopter, like the summer I showed up at a camping trip with bright blue croc’s a full year before anyone in Wisconsin had seen them. Perhaps that wasn’t for the best. But, anyway, I try.
January seems like a natural starting point to announce some things that are faves and raves. I suspect I may update this list periodically. But for this moment in time, here is a list of what I like and don’t.
- Gluten Intolerance – c’mon most people just don’t want to get fat
- Paleo – no part of being a caveman appeals to me, especially not the eating
- Fukushima fish scares – until there is science, I’m eating sushi
- Cake Pops – too much work, too little cake
- Granny Smith & Red Delicious – there are way better apples than these
- Smoothies – I’d rather eat a piece of fruit
- Chewing gum – chomping on gum always looks trashy
- Siracha – and Siracha flavored stuff, especially popcorn!
- Persimmons – these still seem exotic to me and are so delicious
- Meatless Monday – a gateway to meatless most days
- Mediterranean Diet – Ottolenghi is my inspiration
- Jalapeno olive oil – add a little to a recipe for a mysterious kick
- Nothing Bundt Cakes – yum.
- Greek salads – not all are created equal, but even a bad Greek is better than a good BBQ chicken salad
- Brussels sprout chips – especially with fish sauce
- Siggis Icelandic-style skyr – move over Fage.
- Shades of Gray – perhaps the second worst color on me after yellow
- Nail art – too much work
- Southwestern print tops – my kind of boho
- Shades of Brown – mix and match and browns always look stylish
- Hats – every shape and size, I can’t get enough
- Bangle Bracelets – dress up a t-shirt
- Soft fitted white t-shirts – a classic
- Sun Bum sunscreen – goes on non-greasy, covers well, smells great and blocks the sun
- Matte finish – especially glasses frames,
- Lupita Nyong’o’s red carpet dresses
- ABC’s Dancing With The Stars – Jumped the shark
- Canadians on HGTV – Ambiguous Canadian cities dominate, show some U.S.A already!
- Good Morning America – Way too silly
- Lifetime Network’s Under The Gunn – I can’t get enough Tim Gunn
- The Olympics – ‘nough said
- CBS This Morning – Eye Opener, your world in 90 seconds
- The Bachelor, Juan Pablo – could he really be this nice?
- Sirius Radio Howard 100 – Howard Stern is the best interviewer ever.
- TED Talks and TED Radio Hour on NPR – thought provoking
- PBS rebroadcast of Borgen – Brigette Nyborg, Katrine Fonsmark, Kasper Juul, oh my.
Category: Pop Culture
- Twerking – does not highlight my best side
- BB and CC Creams – useless
- Government shutdown – wrong on so many levels
- cray-cray – ref: government shutdown
- Candy Crush Requests – I’m not playing with you, stop asking
- Cards Against Humanity – shockingly funny, emphasis on the shocking
- Beanbag pool floats – I’m done noodling around
- Aperol spritz – pink and bubbly, yes please!
****To Be Continued****